Gary Kline wrote:
On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:16:00PM -0500, Dak Ghatikachalam wrote:
On 2/14/07, Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

       I'm pretty stunned at how well gnome2 works on my
       antique 400MHz backup system.  [[ gnome2-lite wouldn't go, for
       some reason.... [?] ]]  Anyway, I do have a sound card in this
       one, but which *.ko I load or compile is the question.  If
       memory serves, I think this has  a Matrox card.  I've tried
       adding a few sound [snd_*.ko] files, but no sound.  The OSS
       dialogs open, but the tests produce no sound..  Would the sound
       card show up in dmesg if there were a sound card hiding?

       Any help out there?  This old box is an HP Kayak "XU/XW".

I solved most of my sound problems by taking actions reading

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

regards
Dak

        Hm.  I forgot about adding the "hints.*"; but catenating
        /dev/sndstat indicates that I use snd_sb16.ko and compiling that
        in gives me a bunch of fatal undefines.  So I added "snd_sbc"
to the KERNCONF and am recompiling.
        Shouldn't be this hard; this worked with REdhat, just
        straightaway.  ....

        gary

What model's the card (or what does pciconf -lv report at least)?
-Garrett