On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 08:14:25AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:

> >>    This is strange.  A couple hours ago I kldloaded a few modules
> >>    and saw that the card was my missing AWE64.  Now, when I load
> >>    snd_sb16, it looks like an ISA SB 16.  It could be either.
> >>    Note that if I load just snd_sb.ko, cat'ing /dev/sndstat returns
> >>    zip.
> >>    Still trying...
> >>

> >     Interesting: I scripted them ALL in and ind that there are TWO
> >     sound cards::
> >
> >pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.16> at io 0x240 irq 9 drq 1:5 bufsz 4096 kld snd_sb16
> >(1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
> >pcm1: <AD1816> at io 0x500 irq 5 drq 0:3 bufsz 8192 kld snd_ad1816
> >(1p/1r/0v channels duplex)
> >
> >     Suggestions?
> >

> >>    gary

> Not 100% sure, but it looks like your soundcard involves the sb driver
> and there might be a separate driver for your card:
>
> <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-all/2007-February/206411.html>

        Looks the the header files were checked into CVS but howto
        retrieve?  I did a full-bore update of 6.2 and didn't see
        anything new (timestamp-wise) in the sound/ directories... .

        I'll rebuild and  reinstall.

        Anyway: experimentation has taught me that the snd_ad1816.ko
        at least drives the BEL speaker.  So, while I hear the
        log[in|out] fuzzily, the other WAV sounds are clear.  Another
        thing: with snd_driver.ko installed (by /boot/loader.conf)
        I have *no* sound; with just the keydb driver at "YES" the
        internal speaker works.  And the tiny red "[x]" is not
        displayed.)  With snd_sb16.ko or snd_sbc.ko I get some results
        by catenating /dev/sndstat.  But zero sound.  cat foo >/dev/dsp
        is not permitted as a test.  [ That html sound page is seriously
        out of date! ]

        The only possibilities I can see are a bad sound card or the
        banana plug in the wrong jack [ doubt].

        (*****)

        gary