Hello,
Motherboards usually don't support more than 2 SATA ports, and since SATA is 1:1, I have to invest in a SATA RAID card to get RAID-5 support. After reading the handbook a bit I came across chapter 19, which goes into some detail about why and how to the configure one's disks in a software RAID with gvinum. However, I'm not sure what mode (if one exists) that I could put a RAID card in to make the OS see single disks. So I guess my point is, can I turn off RAID functionality on the card and make the disks into single, separated disks available via the disk controller, or is that impossible with a RAID card?
        I think the problem lies with my (limited) knowledge of RAID.
TIA,
-Garrett