Frank Staals wrote:
Apatewna wrote:
As far as I can tell, the problem with duplicate emails resides on how the list software is setup. I am a member of another list where each email sent out by the list software is stripped of all CCs and ReplyTOs. There is only a "ReplyTo" address in the form of "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

Now, whenever a subscriber wants to send a new email to the list, all he has to do is add "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" as a recipient (as usual on all lists). Whenever he wants to reply to some email he received from the list he just uses the "Reply" command in his email program.

The way it is done on this list is confusing when it comes to reply to mail I received from the list. Almost always I have to use the "Reply to all" command and strip all irrelevant addresses (CCs TOs and ReplyTOs) leaving just the "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" as a recipient "To". Sometimes in a hurry I forget to delete the aforementioned recipients and the mail appears to be sent multiple times to the subscribers involved. Some other times I recieve email directly, skipping the list, because the other fellow just used the "Reply" button.

I have never run a mailing list before so that I can strictly suggest proper action, but this is the way I believe thing are running at the moment and it ought to be improved by our suggestions.

I think it isn't that bad, it's easy for filtering e-mail so you can let your mail client hilight the threads in which you have replied.

Just my 2 cents,

This is done by your mail client using the <In-Reply-To> field.
For more info check http://cr.yp.to/immhf/thread.html

My original mail had :
so in a threded mail client (Thunderbird) this appears as a threaded reply to my message.

This also explains why some people who start a new topic by replying to an already recieved email, get flamed by users who use threaded email clients :)