Drew Jenkins wrote:
Hi;
I have a production server that I've crashed a few times by working on it directly and making mistakes. As a result, I've finally built a mock server on my home PC on a separate hard drive with nothing but FBSD. I also have a laptop. All are connected by DHCP to a satellite dish. My question is, how can I surf my laptop to pull up Web pages generated from the home-based FBSD machine? What kind of networking is necessary? How do I call it up? Can this be handled through DHCP, or do I need to use BIND? Or something else? What good resources are out there for studying this? The FBSD manual wasn't much help, unfortunately.
Conversely, I could surf to the FBSD machine from the FBSD machine. But I built
this mock server like my workhorse...no mouse, no X, no browser. Would I have
to rebuild it to incorporate those? Or just build stuff from ports? Finally,
which solution is easiest...surfing from the laptop or from the FBSD machine?

Assuming that you have Apache (or whatever) started and running, and that both computers are on the LAN (usually in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range) you should be able to access your internal website by typing in the private IP address of the server, into your browser, for example:

http://192.168.1.11/

--
-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
.       http://robertwittig.net/