On Wednesday 21 February 2007 01:01, Roger Olofsson wrote:
> Hello again Joe,
>
> Maybe it depends on what packages you add when running sysinstall? I
> have 6.2 on a 6Gb Fujitsu drive and it fits nicely. I only pick kernel
> sources from the packages though. Only problem I've noticed is /usr/obj
> filling up when making buildworld but a symlink to another drive takes
> care of that.

Hi Roger,
When I install, I choose from packages, KDE, which has many dependencies,
along with various other packages that I use. That puts it over the top for
the default auto settings which cause /usr to be too small. Since I only have
a 56k dialup connection, I have no intention of trying to do a buildworld or
use the ports to install large packages like KDE. It would take too long to
download. I'll just use what comes on the CD. I'll wait for the next release
to upgrade the full system from CD, except for security patches.

For now, I guess I'll just go with the scheme that has worked so far, and if I
run into any problems down the road, I'll try something different. I suppose
I could just put everything under / but that might introduce other problems
such as an unusably corrupted filesystem after a hard crash or excessive
fragmentation. I guess the only thing that I need to do with the scheme that
I've used before is to increase the /var from 256Mb to 512Mb to be on the
safe side, and I'll set the system to keep the logs trimmed. Thanks for the
suggestions to all who've helped. Its appreciated.

Joe