On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:57:57 -0500
"Hilt, Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tried enabling all GNOME 2.16 services with gnome_enable="YES" in the
> /etc/rc.conf file. However, this did not start any programs referenced
> by this web page
> <http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#full-gnome>. This page
> didn't help much in the way of troubleshooting. It seemed pretty
> straightforward; set gnome_enable="YES" and it should start all of
> GNOME's services. I'm guessing I'm missing something obvious. I've
> searched the freebsd mailing list archives and found posts regarding
> this issue but they have not solved my problem, or have not been
> answered e.g.
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2392411+2395419+/usr/local/
> www/db/text/2007/freebsd-questions/20070121.freebsd-questions>. This
> thread
> <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=824947+828344+/usr/local/ww
> w/db/text/2006/freebsd-questions/20061217.freebsd-questions> provided
> some more information but did not resolve the issue. I've searched
> google and have come up with nothing. There was a port - gnome_subr -
> that was supposed to allow gnome_enable to work, but it did not work. I
> followed the procedure outlined in the documentation but to no avail.
> Finally, I've tried enabling dbus, polkitd, and hald in the /etc/rc.conf
> file but when I click on "Removable drives and media" in the GNOME
> desktop, it displays a message box that says volume management is not
> supported and that I should enable hald. I've checked the packages
> installed and the removable drives and media packege is installed as
> well as hal.

Hi,
have you restarted your pc after modifying /etc/rc.conf? or re-run the
services by hand ?

can you show us your full rc.conf ?

( FWIW, i don't have  /var/run/dbus/dbus.pipe , but  /var/run/dbus/dbus.pid and
system_bus_socket )... I'm not running a full gnome environment (XFCE
actually), but i have all the hal , dbus and plkitd running just fine.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her intelligence'"
   Arthur C. Clarke, from "3001, The Final Odyssey", Sources.

Warned.