Am Freitag, 23. Februar 2007 19:17 schrieb Bill Moran:
[...]
> > > Feature changes are minimal.  8.2 has significant performance
> > > improvements over previous version.
> >
> > Version or versions? I mean, even better than 7.4? I read some tests that
> > performance of 8.x is in some statements a big regression (runtime 25ms
> > on 7.4 while 8.x needs 1000ms (1s!))
>
> Where did you read this?

On one of the hundred pages I visited when collecting infos...

[...]

> I don't have any real-world tests that could give any real numbers between
> specific versions.  My answer is based on personal "feel" over the last
> few years, as well as involvement with the postgres-perform mailing lists.

Ok, but perhaps you can answer me another question:

What are the command syntax changes between 7.4 and 8.1? Are there likewise
changes (thus incompatibilities) between 8.1 and 8.2?

I use eGroupWare and restoring a backup (orginating for a MySQL databse) works
with pgsql 7.4 but not with 8.2 (using php5-pgsql).

Thanks a lot,

-Harry

--
OmniSEC  -  UNIX und Windows Netzwerke - Sicher
Harald Schmalzbauer