To: "Grant Peel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: FIN_WAIT_2

On 24/02/07, Grant Peel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has found / knows of a way to kill sockets that are stuck in FIN_WIAT_2 state - without rebooting the server.

When I kill the processes (in this case the pop3 server) that allows the connection, it still takes about 3 hours for the socket to time out and die.

What is your problem with sockets being in this state? Normaly they
don't consume any resources that would lead to performance problems.
As you say, they die eventually.
Sockets in this state are no problem, it's just that the client failed
to sent the last ACK to the server, which would finally close the
communication.