13 3 * * *      $HOME/bin/daily
19 * * * *      $HOME/bin/hourly

after
##################
SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILTO=user

13 3 * * *      /home/user/bin/daily
41 * * * *      /home/user/bin/hourly

and at 41 past the hour the hourly job came back.

Is it the HOME variable or the act of rewriting? User did have home defined in /etc/passwd.

I suspect that $HOME isn't being defined as one might expect-- cron provides a very minimal shell environment for scripts it runs.

except that I have exactly the same script running on another box with the same freeBSD version and that runs things fine. Looking in man 5 crontab seems to suggest that SHELL=/bin/sh & HOME, LOGNAME are set from the user passwd entry.
--
Robin Becker