named is not starting when I reboot a FreeBSD 6.2 server and I cant figure out why.
there are no error mesasges in /var/log/messages during the boot process.

even when I manually start there are no error messages.

# grep named /etc/rc.conf
named_enable="YES"
# pkg_info | grep bind
bind9-9.3.4         Completely new version of the BIND DNS suite with updated

why you are installing bind from ports - there is bind9 in base system. and it's controlled with named_enable.

have you configured right version in right (/etc/namedb) directory?