I haven't looked at dovecot.  Does it maintain a group of listeners,
similar to apache's, to handle incoming requests as courier-imap does?

you can set listening IP in config or *, not much more. if i do understand your question. no such many options like apache.

So far we have had excellent performance with courier-imap at sites with
about 10,000 mail clients hitting a single server (most of whom are using
the POP interface as these are ISP sites).

mine has 500-1000 clients, but makes unnoticable load. looks like both are OK.