On 2/26/07, Jerry McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 04:49:46PM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:

> Firstly, Marty, you should run dumpfs(8) on your ad1s1a.

Well this didn't raise my spirits too much:

%sudo dumpfs /dev/ad1s1a
dumpfs: /dev/ad1s1a: could not read superblock to fill out disk
%

So I can get to all but my  "dead" blocks via the DD command and work with
it in hex; used to do mainframe assembler programming and don't particularly
mind the workout, so to speak.

Only with a road map it's not possible. Maybe I should write Ian Dowse and
see if he can point me in the right direction (pun intended).

Marty  :--\

With the -m
> switch, this produces a single line suitable for feeding into newfs with
> all parameters, and is probably worth saving for all slices in case of
> any subsequent emergencies.  I've just done that for mine, anyway, along
> with fdisk and boot0cfg -v output, and bsdlabel output for UFS slices.

Yes.  Good call.
I couldn't think of the dumpfs command the other evening when
I was writing, but that is the place to start.   Definitely run
that output to a file.   It will take some learning to understand
how to follow it out.   There are tables somewhere that tell what
each of those things mean and what fields to look in in the raw
data to find each thing - and to write it back if that is what you
will want to do.

Note that it will tell you in the first line if your filesystem if UFS2
or something else.

Good luck - maybe if you are successful, you can write a paper on it
and post it to a web page somewhere.   I probably should have way back
when and then I would remember more now.

////jerry

--
Web Installed Formmail - http://face2interface.com/formINSTal/
Webmaster's BBS - http://bbs.face2interface.com/