so something strange has happened and my machine no longer boots and I am not clear why. Here is what happens during boot:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: sh
FEnter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: /bin/sh
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

what is the best suggestion for troubleshooting this?

Cheers,

Noah