On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 04:06:11PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:39:41PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >>

> >     [[ yelps of various sorts about "STUFF" ]]
> >

> >>You can set the default terminal in gnome to be xterm instead of Gnome
> >>Terminal. Gnome then wraps xterm in a program they call "Terminal" which
> >>you can setup to your liking using the preferences accessible from the
> >>menu.
> >>
> >>That's what I meant. Just relaying my experience because I had a similar
> >>problem recently with Suse.
> >>
> >>-Garrett
> >>

> >     Too bad there isn't some sort of web database for these sorts of
> >     miscellany with tags like (vi backspace-failure term) that would
> >     aide the search and solution for these type questions.  This may
> >     be one of Google's aims, but there are miles to go....
> >
> >     gary
>
> Someone (Chuck Swiger I believe?) posted a modded .Xresources file as a
> solution  to my terminal issue a few weeks back; it modified the behavior
> of Xterm to meet his needs, but it wasn't quite what I wanted/needed
> though. I found the gnome terminal solution, but maybe the solution he
> provided me would be helpful for you?

        Maybe.  Or *hopefully*!  I've got a few lines in my ~/.Xresources
        file but haven't touch it in years.  Another thing along this
        line involves using FBSD from the boot-up screem--the console.
        It's slightly difficult for me to reach ESC so I have both the
        DEL key and the Left Alt key mapped to be ESC.  But only running
        X.  When I'm rebooting or down to single-user and I hit L-Alt
        from vi, Zip.

        What's the magic .key*FOO* file that remaps from the console?
        Not to whine Too much, but god, it's been a long century!

        gary