Thanks, Alexander, for taking time to answer. If there is no other helpful
thoughts meanwhile I will definately give the it a try.

I did write the specific problem information here, maybe it will give a
better overview:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1670186&group_id=8874&atid=358874
(The answer did not help. Still no camera initialized.)

T.
__________

On 3/1/07, ajm <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:48:54AM +0200, t nagu tundmatu wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I have a problem with gtkam ? my new camera (Pentax K10D) is not
supported.
> I now got it listed in the menu but trying to 'add a new camera' gives a
> message 'could not initialize the camera.' Is there any trick I'm
missing or
> is there maybe another program I can use (with the support of this
camera)
> or maybe a third option?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I don't have a Pentax, but I use a memory card reader for my Olympus.
I find it easier to mount, download photos then use gqview to
view and gimp to edit.  Just make sure you mount it with the
mount_msdosfs command.
Here is what I have done.

In the /etc/sysctl.conf file I have the following lines:
# user mounts devices
vfs.usermount=1

In the /usr/local/etc/sudoers file I have the following:
# Defaults specification
Defaults env_reset
Defaults timestamp_timeout=0
Defaults tty_tickets
Defaults requiretty
Defaults passwd_timeout=1
# User privilege specification
user_me  ALL=/sbin/umount,\
        /sbin/mount_msdosfs

In my home directory, I have created a directory call
~/mount/camera

I am in the wheel group.

The command is
sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/da?s1 ~/mount/camera
replace the ? with your device number.

I hope this helps...I am sure there are many other ways to do this.
--
Alexander
FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE i386