On 01/03/07, Nick Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:46:07 +0000
Dave Carrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> HI All,
>
> I need to automatically once a day backup some files on my Win 2003
> serve to my remote FreeBSD box running v6.
>
> What i need specifically is to compress the win files as small as
> they can be then either set my FreeBSD box to go a get the file or
> tell win to send it to my FreeBSD box.
>
> The stumbling block here is me, i have absolutely no idea what i
> need to do on each box to achieve this, having never done it before.

Not necessarily what you're after (may be a little excessive for your
tastes), but I'd recommend Bacula (www.bacula.org).

Failing that, perhaps a script to zip the files on the Win box then
copy it to a Samba share on the FreeBSD box? Or mount a Windows
share containing the files to be backed up on the FreeBSD box and
bzip2 / gzip them to a file on the FreeBSD machine. A little off-topic
here, perhaps...

Off the top of my head, having a home directory
for the backups on the freebsd box and scripting
in scp on the windows machine (probably have to
install putty since appearantly ssh isn't a standard
enough protocol for MS to Embrace and Extend it
yet) obviates samba.  If you already have samba
installed, use that.  If you have a reliable and
useable nfs client for windows, that would work too.