On 02/03/2007, at 2:58 AM, John Nielsen wrote:

On Thursday 01 March 2007 01:37, Never you mind wrote:
On my Mac from the Finder I can select "Connect to server", give it the
details of an ftp location and it will connect and display the ftp
space as a drive on the desktop.

Can I obtain the same sort of functionality using freeBSD and xfce
desktop manager?

I haven't used it, but the sysutils/fusefs-curlftpfs should allow you to mount an ftp location as a virtual filesystem. The desktop icon thing you'll have to work out on your own, but it shouldn't be too difficult (a shortcut to
your chosen mountpoint should suffice).

thanks John, That sounds like what I want.

I have previously used KDE as the desktop manager and it included graphical tools which managed this job. However, I'm learning to like xfce and looking at what I can do to make it work for me.

malcolm