Excellent!  Never had that one answered.  I've gone down the typical
road of being an MS booster ("It doesn't take 10 hours to set up and
configure") to experiencing glee when I find yet another way FBSD
kicks the crap out of MS.  Why?  Because I've grown up, and learned
that 2 hours time spent *reading* and configuring is way better than 2
days time spent when the system crashes in the middle of the workweek
- bottom line, BSD is cheaper before, during, and after installation.
Probably by a factor of 10 for me over the last 10 years.  As I write
this, I'm on a MS laptop that has degraded to the point where any disk
acess takes 10 seconds before the display updates (but not from the
shell - so not a defrag issue, just a screwed registry or something).
I used to reinstall my entire MS server every 6 months, on average...

Steve

On 3/1/07, Kevin Kinsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> Steve Franks wrote:
>> How come I never hear defrag come up as a topic, and can't find
>> anything related to defrag in the ports tree?  Is it really not an
>> issue on UFS?  Can someone point me to an explantion if so?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>
> I'm thinking this one's in the FAQ at freebsd.org.

Bah!  HEADS-UP:  Ignore any advice I feel compelled to give today.  Two
retractions in one hour would seem to demonstrate a cranial
short-circuit this morning.  Steve, it's not in the FAQ.

Here's a link to a brief mailist discussion:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-chat/2003-July/000932.html

Assuming you have Ghostscript installed (which may be a big IF), you
might be able to take a gander at the document mentioned with something
like:

groff /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs/* ~/ffs.ps
ps2pdf ~/ffs.ps
acroread ~/ffs.pdf

But there's probably a better way --- I'm certainly "one offing" today.

Kevin Kinsey
--
I don't care for the Sugar Smacks commercial.  I don't like the idea of
a frog jumping on my Breakfast.

--
Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer