jekillen wrote:

On Mar 1, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

jekillen wrote:
Hello;
I have built a machine with ASUS M2N32 WS pro motherboard.
It has dual network interface ports that are Marvell interfaces.
I understand that FreeBSD does not yet support Marvell as of
v6.2. I did get a reference to a source for the driver source and
instructions to compile and install. But my short term solution was
to get Intel nics that fit in PCIe lane one slots. As fate would have
it one of the slots is situated too close to some copper vain heat
dissipation attachments, so the second interface card will not
fit in the slot for the obstruction.
So, my question is simple:
Can I use a network interface card made for a PCIe lane one slot
in a PCIe lane 16 slot and expect it to work?
By way of explanation: I need to interfaces because I am using
this machine as a web server and I want one public ip address
assigned to it and one private ip address assigned to it also.
I have all but http and dns blocked from the outside. I use ssh
and ftp to post content to the machine on the inside network.
Thanks, not tearing my hair just yet....
Jeff K

Maybe. Read this document: <http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3540>.
-Garrett

Thanks, in my flustered state of mind I just poked out this message and then
decided to follow advices I have gotten in the past, ask Google. I came up
with a Wikipedia article that was positive. I also decided to look back at the specs listed on the Tiger Direct site where I got the interface cards and there it was, pretty plain. There is still a problem. One of the cards is initializing and the other is not. I have not determined which one is not. But the punch line is that the one that does show up shows up with status no carrier in ifconfig. I looked back the the FreeBSD site, at hardware notes for v6.2 and it appears that that card specifically, is not listed as supported. 82572 is listed as supported by the em driver, but IntelĀ® 82572EI or IntelĀ® 82572GI Gigabit Controller is not
listed specifically, Well that is another $70+ not well enough spent.
thanks for the response.
Jeff K

There's always -current or an RMA. Weird though... I didn't think that the slot size was large enough though for a PCIx card slot. Interesting...

Learn something new everyday..
-Garrett