On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:38:24PM -0800, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007, Vince wrote:
> >Josh Tolbert wrote:

> >> find /path/to/dirs -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755
> >>
> >or just
> >find /path/to/dirs -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
> >should do it.
>
> While that works, the -print0 | xargs -0 is far more efficient as it isn't
> exec'ing a process for every match.  This may not be important for a few
> files or directories, but can make a significant difference when processing
> thousands of entries.

        I don't mean to steal this thread, but it might help to know if
        egrep -[xyz] bar or other things might be joined in the " | xargs"
        part of the pipeline.  Lots of times I'll want a find search to
        print0 filename and egrep, say, -3 strings and search for
        substrings nearby.  The greps will recurse across many dirs with
        scores of files so I want to search to be efficient.  In other
        words, how flexible is xargs?

        gary