Kalashnikov Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:           On Mon, 2007-03-05 at
07:05 -0800, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
I hope this is the right place--i looked over the MySQL docs but they talk
about a different startup practice than what FreeBSD uses.  I have a new
install of MySQL 5.1 on a FreeBSD 6.2 system. I want to have my MySQL data
directory in a place other than /var/db/mysql. I thought i do this by copying
the appropriate my.cnf into /etc/my.conf and adding a line like "datadir =
/usr/local/mysql/var/" and making it readable to mysql user. But this doesnt
work;  when i restart MySQL its still using /var/db/mysql.  So i looked at the
mysql-server startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and added to rc.conf
"mysql_dbdir="/usr/local/mysql/var"". (I DON'T want to do it this way, because
i really want my MySQL related configuration things in my MySQL configuration
file, not split between there and my FreeBSD startup file. What if i need to
start mysql in some other way? But for now im just trying to see what i can get
to work.) This seemed to change something--mysqld had been running
 when i made this change and when I ran "mysql-server stop" it couldnt stop,
because it was looking in /usr/local/mysql/var/foo.pid--i think this means it
did register the change to the new directory. But i couldnt then start it,
because when I run "mysql-server start" i get a "Can't connect to local MySQL
server through  socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'" error.  What's the right way to do
this? Again id really prefer to do this all through the my.cnf file, but this
seems not to be getting read, at least for this reason.  Thank you.  Jen
--------------------------------- Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate in the
Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

 Hi Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum.
 Need append to /etc/rc.conf follow line:
 mysql_dbdir="/mysql/db/location"

 See please /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh
   Thats exactly what i did, if you look at what i wrote above. But when i do
that i
cant start the server. (And as i said i also would like to have this in my MySQL
configuration file, not in a FreeBSD configuration file.)

Also, replying to a separate email from Roger Olofsson about just symlinking
/var/db/mysql to somewhere else: sure, i can do that, and i once had to do
that quickly when i accidently filled up my /var partition :-(. But here i have
new install and i KNOW i want the data directory to go somwhere else, so id
like to do it by specifying it in the conf file and not by symlinking which has
always felt like a kluge to me.

Jen