rc scripts should accept a few arguments:
start
stop
restart

You can usually find one in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to copy from.

In most cases you want the service to write the PID to a file in /var/log so only one instance is started. Also be sure you use full pathnames in your scripts, don't assume an environment exists.

        -Derek