(forgive outlook express, I too hate its formatting)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hanspeter Roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FreeBSD User Questions List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2003 6:00 AM
Subject: Re: login.conf tc=default

>   On Jan 17 at 16:57, Joe Marcus Clarke spoke:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 16:43, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to setup an alternate welcome file for a specific user.
> > > I have the following entry in login.conf:
> > >
> > > user:\
> > > :welcome=/etc/resolv.conf:\
> > > :tc=default:
> > >
> > > But the user is presented the default /etc/motd at login.
> > > How will he see /etc/resolv.conf?
> >
> > After you modified this, did you run cap_mkdb?
>
> Well, I failed to notice that this is necessary.
> But also now as I've done it I still get the default /etc/motd.
> Is there something more to consider?

Perhaps there is, I am guessing that you want a custom message for
a specific user. I had to do this for a user named dustman on my
machine. It was as simple as adding the name dustman (also in
login.conf) to the password database file.

I have pasted in two entries from vipw, notice the word dustman
in both of them. One is for user test2, the other for user dustman.

dustman:IJcNND58gQpL6:1011:1011:dustman:0:0:Dustin D
Brand:/home/dustman:/usr/lo
cal/bin/bash
test2:$1$hcveRAF2$oIEp0sKgLzEB1WYsafGry.:1012:1012:dustman:0:0:Test Account
for
Login Class:/home/test2:/usr/local/bin/bash

> -Hanspeter

Aaron Burke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]