Jerry McAllister wrote:
On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:28:39PM -0800, Drew Jenkins wrote:

----- Original Message ----
From: Jerry McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Drew Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 7:46:26 PM
Subject: Re: Setting Env

If you want the environment variable to
be set for something that is taking place in the script, then
that variable must either be set in a durable way in the parent
environment or be set right there in the script that is using it.
The rc.conf method will make it available from the parent.
That is the whole point of rc.conf.
Right. I figured that much. So, what do I actually put in that file? I tried these two options:

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib/mysql/

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib/mysql/"

Well, setenv is a csh or tcsh command and isn't in sh and probably
not in bash either (I haven't used bash).

The export command is an sh and probably bash command and it
doesn't exist in csh or tcsh.

It didn't like either, presumably because it's not calling a bash or c-shell.
So, what should I put in /etc/rc.conf that will achieve my objective?

Look at other variable setting in rc.conf. That should give you a good clue. For example, in my rc.conf I have several. One is:
  moused_enable="YES"
That makes the moused_enable variable have a value of YES.
So, if you want LD_LIBRARY_PATH to have the value of /usr/local/lib/mysql/
might that not be:
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib/mysql/"

If you put it in the script that starts things - there needs to be one - then it depends on the script language, csh/tcsh sh/bash.
csh/tcsh use setenv and set
sh [and bash] use set  and variable_name=value and needs an export to
make it available to other entities besides the shell itself.
You should look up the man pages on these things and take a look
at some other scripts such as those in /usr/local/etc/rc.d for
examples.

////jerry
TIA,
Drew

Ok. Simplest way to solve this is to make your own run script and invoke it at boot. It's not that bad to do from what I understand..
-Garrett