You might want to try rebuilding vim and all dependencies.

        -Derek

Hi,

I haven't been able to figure this out, and am hoping someone
has some ideas.  I can't seem to find any previous mention of
a similar problem, so I hope I'm not missing something
obvious.

I run FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE.  I also have installed GNOME
2.16.3.  I use Gnome-Terminal 2.16.1.

The main application I run is Vim, which I run through Gnome-
Terminal.  I frequently have several copies running
simultaneously.  In general response to Gnome-Terminal
commands is very fast, but sometimes when I try to open a
file with Vim it takes up to 20-30 seconds to load.  The
files are not particularly large (max 300 lines).

During this time, if I try to launch another application in
Gnome (e.g., Opera or another Gnome-Terminal), it will not
come up.  It is as if everything is frozen until finally Vi
loads and opens the file, at which point anything else I have
tried to open works fine.

While this loading takes place, I can work in any other open
application normally.  Oftentimes I have another Vim session
which I am editing in.

I have of course looked at top when this problem occurs.  CPU
usage is about 2%, and there is no significant memory usage
either.

I never experience this problem outside Gnome, whether I'm
using screen or several virtual terminals.  It's really
strange.

Anyway, I hope someone out there has some ideas.  Thanks very
much in advance.

-- Ned Ruggeri

PS I'll include my ~/.vimrc file:

autocmd!