On Mar 8, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Andy Kendall wrote:
[ ...and... ]
On Mar 8, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Andy Kendall wrote:
I've just built my 6v2 box and all is going well so far. I've read the
manual and understand LPD and directly attached printers. The manual however is pretty minimal when it comes to network-based printers, (netprint), and only mentions LPRng and CUPS on a single page briefly. I understand this; it's probably because they're not direct FreeBSD products but this doesn't help a newb-to-FreeBSD like me. I only want to build the foundation system once, so, any recommendations please on what to install/configure? (Hope
this doesn't start a bikeshed).

You can use the stock lpd to print to remote/network-attached printers just fine-- use the rm and rp arguments in printcap to specify the remote printer's hostname (or IP address, possibly [1]) and spoolname...for JetDirect printers, use "lp" as the spool name, IIRC. See:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing- advanced.html#PRINTING-ADVANCED-NETWORK-RM

Some other people seem to be happy with CUPS, and I believe MacOS X adopted CUPS as well rather than the classic lpd. I've never been a big fan of turning electronic documents into dead trees myself, so I don't have strong recommendations for one versus the other.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum or invalid posting, please advise.

This is the right forum, and welcome. One might wish to be a bit more patient about receiving replies, however, at least if you intended to repost so quickly....

--
-Chuck

[1]: Some flavors of Unix insist upon having printer hostnames being well-defined in DNS or /etc/hosts, and do not support IP addresses in printcap. I don't recall whether than limitation is present in FreeBSD, or just a legacy from platforms like AIX or SCO....