Thanks Randy, I use google's advanced search all the time!

The trouble with limiting to freebsd.org is that it's a bigger search
space than just this list's archive.  I've been reading the freebsd
handbook for quite some time, and have learned a lot there.

But I've got a few dots left that need connecting that I think you all
will be able to set me straight on very quickly.  So, I'm off to start
another thread on what I really came here for...

(but making the archive search work would be great still!)

e.

On 3/10/07, Randy Pratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:51:03 -0800
"Ed Zwart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi there, I'm new to the list, and have been trying to search the
> archives at http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/.  No
> matter what I search for, I get no results (even one-word searches
> that should definitely have hits; eg, 'mail', 'hostname', etc).
>
> I want to search the archives before asking the group, but the archive
> is way too large to make browsing feasible.  Is search broken, or am I
> missing something?

I use google to search the FreeBSD site.  Do your google search
as usual but add "site:freebsd.org" at the end and it limits the
searches to freebsd.org.

Other operators can be used for google also:

  http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/operators.html

HTH some,

Randy