On Mar 8, 2007, at 2:03 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:
[ ... ]
It would be nifty to make ndc/rndc smart enough to understand how to
find the pidfile under the chroot location.

rndc doesn't need to know where the pid is; it connects directly to
named over the control port (953) to do its magic.  Try running "rndc
status" while named is running; if you get an error message complaining
about midding rndc.conf or rndc.key files, you may need to configure
that before rndc will work.

"rndc status" works fine for me, but I recall that trying to use it to kill/restart named always fails when named is configured with chroot()....

--
-Chuck