Hi.
I experimented with the values:

1) On my machine 'maxusers' doesn't influence the maximum memory
    allowable for allocation for single process.

2) 'maxdsiz' -  Yes, as long as I keep 'maxdsiz + maxssiz' below physical
    memory size - everything is fine. Single process allocates successfully
    up to 'maxdsiz'.
               When tried to put 'maxdsiz' > phys mem size,
     indeed the system failed to boot, in all modes:
     multiuser, singleuser, safe.

So I derive from here that there is no way to cause a _single process_
on FreeBSD to allocate more than physical memory size (?)

Thank you and regards,
Dima.