Hi--

On Mar 13, 2007, at 10:05 AM, Aitor San Juan wrote:
I am trying to install a secondary hard disk in a Intel-based PC
with FreeBSD 5.4

This secondary disk's capacity is 250 Gb. When I enter sysintall
to try to format it and create a slice, FreeBSD says that the
geometry of disk is not correct. I, then, type in the values detected
by the BIOS as suggested, but FreeBSD still complains that those
are not valid. FreeBSD sees the new disk as a disk of approx. 131 GB.

So my question is: where is the problem? Is it that FreeBSD is not
able to recognise such a big disk capacity?

FreeBSD will recognize large disks, but your hardware itself needs to support what's known as LBA48 addressing to properly work with drives larger than 137.4 GB. Make sure that you've got the latest BIOS update for your MB installed, and try to make sure that the drive is configured to use LBA or "auto" access mode, rather than C/H/S.

Also, you should ignore the warning about the geometry under these circumstances rather than entering a manual geometry...C/H/S mode is going to waste most of the available disk space, so you don't want to use it. First hit from google suggests a site here: http://www. 48bitlba.com/ with some tools...I haven't looked into them, but it looks like they have a utility to check your BIOS for LBA48 compatibility.

--
-Chuck