On Thursday 15 March 2007 02:16, Gary Kline wrote:
>       Two quick one for kernel and/or compiler wizards:  first, is
>       a 400Mz processor considered a 586 (for my KERNELCONF file)?

Think its 686 (but really, leaving 486 and 586 in isn't going to slow down
booting or anything!) I always say: Use GENERIC unless you have a good reason
not to.

>       Second, is it safe to do a buildworld with -O3?  If there are

No. It's not supported if things break.

>       stability concerns, I'll go with the default when I rebuild my
>       6.2 systems.

The defaults should be fine. Also, like I said consider just using GENERIC and
load the odd kmod if needed. Generally it's less headache and equal
performance.

>       thanks in advance,
>
>       gary

Cheers,