----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Widerĝe Andersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 1:44 PM
Subject: Help! Errors in /var/log/messages after upgrade

> After I upgraded to FreeBSD 4.7 STABLE yesterday I receive some errors
> in the /var/log/messages file. These errors occour only when people
> try to send mail via webforms on websites hosted on the server. Here
> is an example:
>
> Jan 21 13:40:12 server sendmail[44046]: h0LCeCp6044046: SYSERR(www):
> collect: Cannot write ./dfh0LCeCp6044046 (bfcommit, uid=80, gid=25):
> Permission denied Jan 21 13:40:12 server sendmail[44046]:
> h0LCeCp6044046: SYSERR(www): queueup: cannot create queue temp file
> ./tfh0LCeCp6044046, uid=80: Permission denied
>
> Can someone please tell me what to do to get rid of this and make web
> forms work again? Thanks a million!!
>
>  Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I had the same problem myself, when I installed FreeBSD 4.7R on a new
server.

I was finally able to "solve" it by queueing mail from the webdaemon (from
CGI scripts and such) into its own queue (that is, running messages off
forms with "-odq -oQ/var/spool/webqueue" (and setting such as default in
php.ini), and setting access rights for "/var/spool/webqueue" owned by the
"nobody" user (Apache runs as nobody) as follows:

drwxr-xr-x    2 nobody  daemon    512 Jan 21 13:41 webqueue

(would likely be user "www" in your case) I say "solve" because this does
indeed make the permission errors go away, and things worked again; though I
feel a more elegant solution may exist, I have not found it yet.

- Mark