----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Widerĝe Andersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: Help! Errors in /var/log/messages after upgrade

Mark wrote:

> [...]
Here
>>is an example:
>>
>>Jan 21 13:40:12 server sendmail[44046]: h0LCeCp6044046:
SYSERR(www):
>>collect: Cannot write ./dfh0LCeCp6044046 (bfcommit, uid=80,
gid=25):
>>Permission denied Jan 21 13:40:12 server sendmail[44046]:
>>h0LCeCp6044046: SYSERR(www): queueup: cannot create queue temp file
>>./tfh0LCeCp6044046, uid=80: Permission denied
>>
>>Can someone please tell me what to do to get rid of this and make
web
>>forms work again? Thanks a million!!
>>
>> Andreas
>>

> Hi Andreas,
>
> I had the same problem myself, when I installed FreeBSD 4.7R on a
new
> server.
>
> I was finally able to "solve" it by queueing mail from the
webdaemon (from
> CGI scripts and such) into its own queue (that is, running messages
off
> forms with "-odq -oQ/var/spool/webqueue" (and setting such as
default in
> php.ini), and setting access rights for "/var/spool/webqueue" owned
by the
> "nobody" user (Apache runs as nobody) as follows:
>
> drwxr-xr-x    2 nobody  daemon    512 Jan 21 13:41 webqueue
>
> (would likely be user "www" in your case) I say "solve" because
this does
> indeed make the permission errors go away, and things worked again;
though I
> feel a more elegant solution may exist, I have not found it yet.

]Is Apache trying to put a temporary file into /var/spool/mqueue
without
]having the correct permissions to do so?

Seems likely.  Having /var/spool/mqueue owned by the Apache
daemon would be something most folk wouldn't want to do, IMO...

]I've noticed a new directory under /var/spool which is named
]/clientmqueue. What is this for?

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong: this is the queue
used by the smmsp (SendMail Mail Submission Process) daemon,
which was added somewhat recently to Sendmail.

Basically the idea is that local submission of messages to Sendmail
can be moved to port 587 (I believe) in order to seperate it from
port 25 traffic; this would allow tweaking of various parameters
for performance and/or security reasons.

Also, which Sendmail version was included in FreeBSD 4.5 and which is
included in 4.7?

<kadmin@archangell> [/home/kadmin] [8:19]
#telnet 127.0.0.1 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 archangel.daleco.biz ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.6/8.12.3; Tue, 21 Jan
2003 08:21:58 -0600 (CST)

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.