On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:34:36AM -0800, Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> i'm having huge problems with localizing the messages sent to my FreeBSD
> box by my router and my firewall appliance.  all the messages seem to be
> congregating in /var/log/messages, when i don't want them to.
>
> i'm thinking that, the following might be an issue.
>
> --------
> *.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit /dev/console
> *.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
> --------
>
> the "*.notice" second line, i'm assuming means that all notices,
> regardless of source, are to be sent to /var/log/messages.
>
> unfortunately, i don't know the severity rating of the messages that the
> firewall is sending.
>
> maybe you can help me out. a typical message looks like this:
>
> Jan 20 20:19:08 <16.5> (806 hostname) id=firewall sn=(serial number of
> webramp) time="2003-01-20 20:19:07" fw=(some ip address) pri=5 c=256 m=38
> msg="ICMP packet dropped" n=2956 src==(some ip address) dst==(some ip
> address) rule=0^M
>
> again, an assumption, but i think that pri=5 means priority 5, which seems
> to be a notification level event with the cisco router.
>
> if this is the case, how could i redirect only FreeBSD notifications to go
> to messages?
>
> this is what i have right now:
>
> ------
> # external hosts (router and firewall)
> !router
> local7.* /var/log/router-logs
> #local7.alert /var/log/router-logs
> #local7.crit /var/log/router-logs
> #local7.debug /var/log/router-logs
> #local7.emerg /var/log/router-logs
> #local7.err /var/log/router-logs
> #local7.info /var/log/router-logs
> #local7.notice /var/log/router-logs
> #local7.warn /var/log/router-logs
> ------
>
> i made the files ahead of time by doing a "touch router-logs".  also is
> noting this as " !router " allowable?
>
> i didn't get a clear indication of how to do it in the documentation? is
> it local0.notice or something?

You need to find out what "facility" your Cisco is configured to use.
As you indicate above, it could be local7.  However, I don't believe that
your program designation of "!route" is valid.  Try your line
local7.*        /var/log/router-logs
near the top of the /etc/syslog.conf file.  Read `man syslog.conf`.

Nathan

--
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C