On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:21:48 -0600
Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to setup a new server, and I'm having some problems mostly with
> the
> network card. (machine specs follow) I can't get a driver to work for the
> integrated network card.  I've spent a number of hours on google / "the
> complete freeBSD" / "the freeBSD handbook". the handbook (section 11.8
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html)
>
> outlines using ndis (project evil) drivers. I tried using this. I went
> through ndisgen, and everything seemed to work. I then tried to use kldload
> and got the error message:
> "kldload: can't load file.ko :operation not permitted"
> of course I did all of this as root. I am using the amd64 version of freeBSD
> (is this my first mistake?) and the 64 bit version of the drivers.
> as a side note, the supplied driver disk includes a source version of the
> linux driver. is there any way to use this?
> Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
> Ray
> machine specs
> ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE mobo
> 2GB ram
> AMD 5200 x2 processor (sorry, the box isn't in front of me)

a friend of mine installed a 6.2-RELEASE system with an nforce network card in
it a few weeks ago.  upon intial install, the nve adapter would not fire up.
he put in another card that was supported (a linksys), did his cvsup and
buildworld, and the nve driver worked after that.

however, the nve thru our freebsd router has had trouble several times, locking
the system up over frames with larger than 1500 mtu (or something to that
effect).  my friend had to dump the nve and just settle for the linksys, in the
name of system system stability.

cheers,
jonathan