please at least keep the mailing list among recipients: see my
    signature.

# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2003-01-21 08:36:33 -0800:
> >    Or maybe, are you really sure you have the proper devices in /dev?
>
>  No, I'm not. At this point I'm not sure of anything, seems like. All I've
> done in /dev is a MAKEDEV std with the MAKEDEV directly from /usr/src,
> without removing the devices currently in there. It was my understanding
> that that would rebuild everything.

    did you let mergemaster run MAKEDEV for you, or did you run

    /dev/MAKEDEV std

    while being in /usr/src? If the latter, you didn't rebuild the
    devices in /dev/, you created them in /usr/src instead! That would
    indeed explain your problems.

    do:

    cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV all

    and let us know about the results.