On 2007-03-19 11:46, Monah Baki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a machine running freebsd 6.2 stable
>
> FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #5: Sat Mar 17 15:15:14 EDT 2007
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
>
> If I issue man ifconfig for example, at the end of the man I get the
> following:
> FreeBSD 6.1                    February 27, 2006                   FreeBSD 6.1
>
> How can I fix it to say 6.2 instead of 6.1

You are probably looking at a 'cached' copy of the preformatted
manpage.  The preformatted, cached copies of the manpages live in
the `/usr/share/man/cat?'  directories.

You can verify that it is indeed this cached copy that you are
reading with:

    $ man -w ifconfig

If you see something like this:

    $ man -w ifconfig
    /usr/share/man/man8/ifconfig.8.gz
    $

Then you are not using a cached, preformatted copy.

If, on the other hand, you see something like:

    $ man -w ifconfig
    /usr/share/man/cat8/ifconfig.8.gz (source:
/usr/share/man/man8/ifconfig.8.gz)
    $

then it's a preformatted copy that you are going to read.

You can safely remove all the preformatted manpage copies, with:

    bash# cd /usr/share/man
    bash# find cat? \! -type d | xargs rm

HTH,
Giorgos