On Mar 19, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Tamouh H. wrote:
Well, I had a VM laying around so thought to fire it up and do some
testing. I know this is absurd abit but I wanted to see the effect
of doing symlinks with pwd.db files.
- I was able to copy /etc/pwd.db /etc/spwd.db to /var/etc/
- Then I deleted /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db
- created ln -s /var/etc/pwd.db /etc/pwd.db and ln -s /var/etc/
- changed the root password, worked!
- Even rebooted the system and was able to successfully able to login
I invite you to repeat the experiment when there is an issue with /
var which prevents it from being mounted cleanly until, say, a manual
fsck is completed.... :-/
firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"