Tamouh H. wrote:
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:39:18AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:

On Mar 19, 2007, at 7:54 AM, Marcelo Maraboli wrote:
my / partition has only 73.196 Mbytes available and since I have 22.000 users, I now cannot change anyone?s password..

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ passwd marcelo.maraboli Changing local password for marcelo.maraboli New Password:
Retype New Password:

/: write failed, filesystem is full
pwd_mkdb: write old: No space left on device
passwd: pam_chauthtok(): error in service module

How can I rezise the "/" partition or move the spwb.db and pwd.db files to another partition ?? (each of them is 44 Mbytes)
You certainly don't want to move the password files out of /etc-- you'll render the machine unbootable as it needs to find
them on the
root partition. The only approach I see which is likely to be workable would be to backup the system, repartition the
disks with a
larger root partition, and restore from backups.
I agree.

However, in theory, if you had free disk space, you could
use growfs
to expand the root partition without repartitioning, but I
am dubious
about using that command against /.
I believe, with growfs, the space that you add must be contiguous
with the partition it is joining.   So, unless there is a partition
that could be shrunk next to root, (maybe swap is there) it wouldn't work. If there is room - maybe by mucking with swap if it is the next partition, then it might be do-able. But, I would also be leary of doing it with /.

////jerry

--
-Chuck

Well, I had a VM laying around so thought to fire it up and do some testing. I
know this is absurd abit but I wanted to see the effect of doing symlinks with
pwd.db files.

- I was able to copy /etc/pwd.db /etc/spwd.db to /var/etc/ - Then I deleted /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db
- created ln -s /var/etc/pwd.db /etc/pwd.db   and ln -s /var/etc/spwd.db
/etc/spwd.db
- changed the root password, worked!
- Even rebooted the system and was able to successfully able to login
- All worked fine except, I noticed after running passwd to reset a user
password, the system copied pwd.db and spwd.db over the symlinks so I always
was ending up with /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db  files

I guess this method will solve your space problem if there is a way to make the
system follow the symlink instead of overwriting it everytime a password is
changed/created.

Tamouh

Thanks Tamouh for the test !

I did think of this, but after testing WHY changing a password resulted
in "no space available", I realized that FreeBSD updates the
/etc/master.passwd file, makes a backup copy of the 2 .db files,
then runs "pwd_mkdb", which creates new .db files and finally it
erases the 2 backup .db.

So, since each .db is 44Mbytes, in the middle of the process I
have 4 x 44 Mbyte files which cannot fit into 73Mbytes available space.

Since it remakes the .db files, it steps on top of your symlinks....

I'm realizing that I'll have to install the system again in
a separate disk, and then plug it into my server and mount the
original disks as other partitions and copy the config files..

thanks.
--
MSc. Marcelo Maraboli Rosselott
Jefe Area de Redes y Comunicaciones  (Network & UNIX Systems Engineer)

Direccion Central de Servicios Computacionales (DCSC)
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria         phone: +56 32 2654071
Chile.    http://www.usm.cl                 http://elqui.dcsc.utfsm.cl