Gerard Seibert wrote:
> FreeBSD-6.2
>
> After booting up my system, I receive an error message:
>
> Shared object "libintl.so.6" not found
>
> This file should be in /usr/local/lib, but it isn't. I have no idea why.
> I can now only log in as root. Since I am not sure where this file even
> came from, I don't know how to replace it.

Have a look if you've got other version of libintl in /usr/local/lib.
Mine is at '.8':

$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.*
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  45025 [...] /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8
$ pkg_which /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.8
gettext-0.16.1

> I assume I don't have to reinstall the OS (I hope) so where do I go from
> here?

Anything under /usr/local is not a part of an OS, "just" some software
needs libintl.so.6 and refuses to start.

First check if you've got gettext installed and what version. Most
probably you'd want to check 20070318 entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING.

HTH,

Karol

--
Karol Kwiatkowski   <karol.kwiat at gmail dot com>
OpenPGP 0x06E09309