Gerard Seibert wrote:
FreeBSD-6.2

After booting up my system, I receive an error message:

Shared object "libintl.so.6" not found

This file should be in /usr/local/lib, but it isn't. I have no idea why.
I can now only log in as root. Since I am not sure where this file even
came from, I don't know how to replace it.

I assume I don't have to reinstall the OS (I hope) so where do I go from
here?

Thanks!

I've just been through that! Reinstalling gettext won't solve this!

Take a look in

cd /usr/local/lib

And make a link
ln -s libintl.so.8 libintl.so.6

Also read /usr/ports/UPDATING it says

20070318:
  AFFECTS: users of devel/gettext (ie: YOU)

  As a result of the upgrade to gettext-0.16.1, the shared library version
  of libintl has changed, so you will need to rebuild all ports that
  depend on gettext (ie: most of them, sorry).

  portupgrade -rf gettext
  portmaster -r gettext

/Leslie