abhishek singh wrote:

Hey

I am getting this " kernel: sis0: Applying short cable fix (reg=e8)" kernel
error  in /var/log/messages what it does mean .I am using FreeBSD 5.4.

You can ignore it; it an advisory message only. The chipset used for sis0 needs some different parameters if you use a short cable - I believe these come from the manufacturer. In fact, with an sis0 chipset I always get this message even when using a cable which I believe is not "short", but everything works just fine.

I'm sure that google would tell you more.

Unless you have actual ethernet errors (e.g. as shown by "netstat -i -I sis0") then ignore it.

--Alex