> P.S. Just tried creating a subfolder with Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1807
> and Apple Mail Version 2.1 (752/752.2) and the previously mentioned
> IMAPs server, and it still works for both of them, so its not just in
> Thunderbird that it works.

OK  - I have it working - it seems the problem was slashes / in the
existing Outlook directory names which imap does not allow.

here is my only problem now;

My incoming mail is still being directed to /var/mail in mbox format
- which is what I want, as most users are not imap.

but opening the imap inbox gives an error, presumably because it is
looking for maildir format and is finding mbox. Can dovecot be
permitted to read incoming mail from as mbox format?

I have this in my dovecot.conf;

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

I am wondering if something like;

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/:INBOX=mbox:/var/mail/%u

would work