I had a similar problem before with an older version of PostgreSQL. The problem
was that the rc script was waiting for input from the user. It was waiting for a
password. Depending on how you set up your PostgreSQL, it might ask for a
password on startup.

It might help to post the versions of PostgreSQL and FreeBSD you are using.

> --
>
>         ___
>    oo  // \\  ||      Gerard
>   (_,\/ \_/ \ ||      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     /_/   \_\ ||      "If today is the first day of the rest of
>    ___________        ||      your life, then what was yesterday?"

Best Regards,

Rick Apichairuk