I use nut-ups on a number of systems both attached to a UPS and some as network slaves. In all my systems I use UPS's that have serial interfaces and USB, but connect them via serial.

If you read the docs on nut-ups you will see some drivers do support the USB's. You will need to specify the port in ups.conf typically in /usr/local/etc/nut
The line would be:
port = /dev/usb0

You can experiment with the port to get the right one. Nut will tell you if is can or cannot talk to the UPS.

        -Derek