Kevin Kinsey wrote:

Finally, here's a couple of classics from my Bookmark collection that deal with keeping ports up-to-date. AFAIK, they are still
pretty applicable today, with the exception of the fact that
"portupgrade" isn't the only way to do this anymore --- I think
the first one (Dru Lavigne's article) has all the procedure in gory
detail:

  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html
  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

Hopefully this is at least a start at "community support". :-)

Best of luck,

Kevin Kinsey

use portsnap if you havent already updated your ports. its built in and very simple to use

man portsnap

to get started

Eric