On 28/03/07, Marc G. Fournier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Just bought a new WD SATA drive: WDC WD5000YS-01MPB1 09.02E09

Tried to disklabel it, and it gives me all kinds of warnings when I look at it
after running the disklabel:

ganymede# bsdlabel -w ad4s1 auto
ganymede# bsdlabel ad4s1c
# /dev/ad4s1c:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a: 976767986       79    unused        0     0
  c: 976768002       63    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't
edit
partition a: partition extends past end of unit
partition c: partition extends past end of unit
bsdlabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
bsdlabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system
utilities

Even if I try to use /stand/sysinstall to do the fdisk, the end result has
'issues' ...

So, what is the generally accepted method of label'ng a new drive? :(

I think you have it correct (or "right" as they say).
When I:
% bsdlabel [da|ad]NsNc
those very error messages are horked up on _some_
drives.
To me
% bsdlabel [da|ad]NsN
has always been the correct method.

The drives which DO return the errors have partitions
newfs-ed with a non-default blocksize (-b 8192).  What
effect (or "impact" if you learnt English in a Zeppelin
over Italy in 1916) that may have is beyond me.