On 28/03/07, Joel Hatton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:34:00 -0400, "Michael P. Soulier" wrote:

>Now, I've been upgrading ports via
>
>portupgrade -R <port>
>
>as suggested in the handbook. As -R upgrades only those packages that require
>those supplied, and not those that it requires, would that cause it?

Be careful with your syntax: '-R' isn't consistent between pkg_info and
portupgrade:  Running 'pkg_info -R' will downward recurse, or show
dependencies of the port in question, but 'portupgrade -R' will upward
recurse and upgrade every port on which it depends - which often causes a
_lot_ of ports to be rebuilt and is, in fact, the opposite of your
description above. I've been caught by this before...

In fact, as frequently the build looks for
a binary, and portupgrade checks
/var/db/pkg there can be some quite
exciting results from a portupgrade -R
if you have alternate dependancies.