> A while ago I installed 6.1 on a box.  I noticed that I cannot ping
> this box even though I can log into it.  The pings are arriving at the
> box because I can see them with tcp dump.  They're not being blocked
> by ipf because nothing shows up in ipmon.  I added rules specifically
> to allow icmp in ipfw, even though ipfw was wide open allowing
> everything in and out.  My box still does not respond to pings.  Is
> there something I need to do to manually enable pings on freebsd 6?

There is nothing special that needs done for FreeBSD 6 to respond to
pings.

Are you using IPFW or ipfilter?  You seem to indicate that you're using
both, which would not be the best of ideas.  Post your firewall rules
so list members can have a look.  Are you sure the machine that is sending
pings is not firewalling off the ICMP responses?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com